Cookbook/Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
This is one of my favorites that my mom used to make for me.
- 1 pound beef round steak, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 (13¾-ounce) cans beef broth
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 (14½-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups bow tie noodles
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach leaves
- In a 4-quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, brown beef in margarine.
- Add onion; cook until tender.
- Stir in beef broth, water, celery, and basil; bring to a boil.
- Cover; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, noodles; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; cook 5 minutes more.
Makes 10 cups.
Notes, tips and variations
- For a hearty stew, remove 1 cup broth from soup; stir in 3 tablespoons flour until smooth. Return to soup mixture; cook and stir until thickened.