Cookbook/Egyptian Lentil Stew
Egyptian lentil stew
This stew is a lovely stew to make on cold nights for a family. It is also very simple to make. It is an Egyptian lentil stew, and the recipe is used a lot in the Middle East. In Arabic (the language that people speak in Egypt) this stew is called Shorbat Ads which means "lentil soup" .
Here is what you need:
Preparation Time - Half (1/2) an hour
Cooking Time - 1 hour
Feeds - This stew can feed up to 4 people. If you have a family with at least 5 people in it, you should make twice the amount of soup shown in the recipe (2 recipes worth).
You will need the following kitchen implements (tools such as a knife or a blender that can be found in your kitchen):
- A knife
- A cutting-board
- A large pot
- A Tablespoon measure
- A large stirring spoon
- A measuring cup
- A juicer
- 2 Onions
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 Cups of water
- 1/2 pound (half lb) of Red Lentils
- 4 Tablespoons of soup mix (you can use any kind of soup mix, or if you don't have any, you can just leave it out)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1 Lemon
- Take the two onions, and peel them. Then cut them into small pieces.
- Place the chopped onions into your big pot, along with the 4 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Saute (cook on low heat stirring often) the onions on low heat until they turn clear looking and slightly golden.
- Drop the 8 cups of water into the pot with the onions.
- Drop the lentils into the pot.
- Carefully measure out the soup mix (if your using it) and drop it into the pot.
- Carefully measure out the Cumin and the Coriander and put that into the pot too.
- Stir the stuff in the pot, the turn up the temperature of the stove to about medium heat (you want it to be slightly bubbling, but not boiling).
- Let it cook for an hour, stirring every few minutes to make sure that it doesn't burn. You may have to turn the temperature of the stove up or down a little.
- After 1 hour of cooking, turn off the stove and put the pot on a different burner so that it doesn't continue to cook.
- Take your lemon, and cut it in half. Then, squeeze it on the juicer until there is no more juice in the lemon.
- Take the juice from the lemon, and put it in the pot.
- Stir the pot, taste, and serve!