Apple Pie is a good pie to make. This page will make enough for 8 people.
Things you need
This part makes enough for the top and bottom of the pie
- 2 1/2 cups white flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter in small pieces
- 5 tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- 8 tbsp. cold water
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A little salt
- 8 medium sized apples (a medium apple = about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
What to do
- Measure the flour, sugar and salt. Stir together.
- Add the butter pieces and shortening to the bowl. Use a pastry cutter or knife to mix. Do not mix them too much.
- Add the cold water. Mix until the dough holds together (add a bit more water, if you need to).
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured counter top, knead it together, then divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a circle, wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Roll out one of the circles on a lightly floured counter top until you have a circle that is about 12 inches wide.
- Put the circle in a 9 inch pie plate, cutting off any extra dough from the edges with a knife (be careful not to cut yourself). Put it back in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the pie.
- Add filling (see below)
- Roll out the second ball of dough and cover top. Use a fork or your fingers to pinch the edges together. Cut some holes in the top.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and take out the core (hard middle) and slice the apples. Keep the size of the slices the same as the other ones.
- Mix the sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in the apples.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie pan.
- Put some small pieces of margarine in.
- Put the top crust on and pinch the edges. Cut holes in the top.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through the holes in crust.